Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Daughter in law threatens to leave enlisted son and father…

Customer Question
Daughter in law threatens...

Daughter in law threatens to leave enlisted son and father of newborn (stepfather of two other of her kids) and go out of state with newborn. Prior children fathered by separate father, neither of whom appear to have contact. Methinks this is a long-running scam to exact support for herself, kids and her deadbeat parents. Can she legally leave? No court order in place.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Do you have specific qs?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/29/2016
Family Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, yes, she could leave the state. A court order is what restricts custody / visitation of children. Without a court order that governs custody and access to the child, either parent could take possession of the child and move out of state, etc... The court order is what restricts the child to one parent and/or a location.

Note, however, that jurisdiction for a child custody / visitation case would remain in the state that they're living in now (for a period of six months following the move) per the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA). After six months following the move, the jurisdiction would then transfer to the new state.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Hello? If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer