Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If you sign a seperation agreement does that keep you before…

Customer Question
If you sign a seperation...
If you sign a seperation agreement does that keep you before going through a judge ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/29/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Signing a separation agreement that addresses all issues in the case means that there's no need for a trial. The parties can also file a motion asking the judge to enter a judgment without a hearing. In some states, the judge will allow this if both parties sign it, but that's separate from the separation agreement. Sometimes the judge will still want to hold a hearing where the parties come in and testify under oath that they want to get divorced and that they voluntarily signed the agreement. That hearing is usually fairly short and the divorce will be granted if either spouse appears and asks for it.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.