Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

IF i find out i have a child after a year, What are my legal…

Customer Question
IF i find out i...
IF i find out i have a child after a year, What are my legal obligations if I wasn't there when he was born and the mother didn't know at that time who was the father ? What If I was in a different country ? can the mother sue me ? can the mother ask for support ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/29/2016
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Yes, the mother can seek child support from you by filing a petition in court.....but if you are unsure about paternity, you can demand from the court that a DNA test be done first in order to verify that you are in fact the father.