How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31782
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

IF i find out i have a child after a year, What are my legal

Customer Question

IF i find out i have a child after a year, What are my legal obligations if I wasn't there when he was born and the mother didn't know at that time who was the father ? What If I was in a different country ? can the mother sue me ? can the mother ask for support ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Yes, the mother can seek child support from you by filing a petition in court.....but if you are unsure about paternity, you can demand from the court that a DNA test be done first in order to verify that you are in fact the father.