How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process of going through a divorce going to

Customer Question

I am in the process of going through a divorce going to court will wipe me out but signing the paperwork to stay out of court will be better my question is this she wants 11,000 dollars when I sign the paperwork what if I don't have it what could happen
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

If you sign a court order stating that you will give her $11,000 and then you do not, you could be held in contempt of court. Being found in contempt of court could mean that you pay a fine, or spend some time in jail. If you cannot afford to pay her $11,000 then you should not agree to do so in a legally binding document.

You could suggest that you pay it to her in installments, or if you ever sell a piece of property, etc. But if she's wanting you to pay her $11,000 in one lump sum and you know already that you cannot, then do not agree to do so, especially in something as important as a court record that can later be used against you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a court order separation agreement
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

If you sign a document that is an agreement between the two of you, she can take you to court to enforce the agreement and force you to pay. This means she could get a judgment against you, which could mean a lien being placed on any property you own, any income tax return you receive, or garnish your paychecks.

Bot***** *****ne: whether the document is filed in court and signed by a Judge or not, if you are signing your name to something, that gives her a legal ground to take you to court to enforce the agreement. Do not sign something you know you cannot follow through on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does a separation agreement keep you from going before a judge ?
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarily. You may need to go before a Judge if you don't agree to everything in the separation agreement. Of if you proceed to a divorce.

Also, if the separation agreement isn't signed by a Judge, she may be able to change her mind down the road and ask for more money or property.