Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am going through a very contentious divorce. My husband…

Customer Question
I am going through a...
I am going through a very contentious divorce. My husband has hidden all assets - ever 2 million. He is to inherit at least 500,00 from his elderly mother. Is there any way I can ask or petition the court for a portion, since he has unlawfully taken and hidden all of our assets?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/28/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I'm sorry to hear this. You would not be able to petition for a part of his inheritance as that is generally considered separate property and not part of the martial estaet. However, the evidence you have should support a fraud claim against him. I still think you should pursue this or seek some sort of alimony going forward.