Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a son that is ten years old. s mother has custody of…

Customer Question
i have a son that...
i have a son that is ten years old. His mother has custody of him. i pay the required amount of child support. the custody order allows me to c him every other weekend. i recently found out he has failed the 2nd grade and is on the way of failing the third grade. I as mother if i the child can live with me , so he can go to a better school with smaller class size of course she said no. Do i have legal grounds to change custody to where as we split the time with my son.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/28/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the child. With that being said, if you can show/convince the Judge that your son will be better with you at this time, as a result of the issue with his schooling and that you can provide a better environment, you do have a good faith basis to motion the court to modify custody. You can ask that there be shared/joint custody, to allow this to happen, so there is nothing wrong with presenting this to the Judge for consideration.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer