How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My got separated from my husband a couple days ago, I live

Customer Question

My got separated from my husband a couple days ago, I live in Seattle WA, but I want to move back to California. We have 2 daughters, 13 and 4 year old.
We are not legally married, but we had leave 13 years together.
Do I need to do a legal documentation to move out of State, even do, he approve me to move back.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard."
The only documentation you will need are birth certificates in case he decides to say you kidnapped the kids. In other words, you can leave. He can call the police and say you and the kids are missing. You are not committing any crimes, but you would want to have their birth certificates to prove you are their parent.

He can file for custody of the children and if he does that he can have the court order you to return the children to him.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We got in a fight. Called the Police, and the police arrest me, because he has a little scratch in his face. I have no charges and my case was dismiss.
He verbally agreed for me to take children with me, but I don't want any charges later from him. I ended this relationship for good this time.
Is it necessary if he signed a document stating he allow me to take my daughters out of Washington? or it wont be valid regardless?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

You do not need him to sign anything but you could try to get him to sign a Separation agreement that states the issues and one of them being you are moving back to CA with the children and he agrees to that. But it is not necessary, he can change his mind on that, too. But if he did go to court to get custody you would have an attorney in Washington argue he signed the agreement and so the children should not be returned.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

But you do not need that to leave. I suggest it could help if there is a custody dispute.

Please let me know here if you have other questions. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.