How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What was the age of consent a child in 1966 in State?

Customer Question

What was the age of consent for adopting a child in 1966 in Washington State?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Please clarify your request, since there is no age of consent really for an adoption in WA? Please explain the situation and what leads you to the specific question and we will try to narrow your issues down better. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was adopted in Jan 1966 six months prior to me turning 18 by my abusive step-father my mom left us when I was ten yrs old and I did not know he was not my father and she died in 1962. I want to reverse the adoption! And am considering taking my birth name back.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

What you are asking has no age of consent, a minor in WA in 1966 was someone under the age of 18, so you had no legal right to consent or not consent to the adoption. You cannot undo or reverse the adoption, but you can file a petition for name change to take back your birth name, your step father could not stop you from doing that now. However, the adoption I am afraid is final legal action and you as the adoptee cannot legally undo it, all you can do is change your name.

Changing your name is ***** ***** you need, because his adoption of you no longer has any legal effect on you except that you now have rights to inherit from him unless he has a will excluding you. You cannot legally undo the adoption though unless you find someone else you want to adopt you and do an adult adoption which you can consent to now and he cannot object to.