How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9914
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Potential child support and alimony payments
, i live

Customer Question

potential child support and alimony payments
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i live in NYC and make approx 105,000 a year (Gross). I have two kids and my wife stays at home and has no income. I wonder what my estimated child support and alimony monthly payments would be after divorce.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience; child support is based on statutory guidelines based on income; for those figures, an approxiation would be approximately $2,000 per month.

More information on guidelines here:

As for spousal support, there is no set formula; rather the court will consider many factors.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

For spousal support, the rule of thumb for temporary support is 30% of the income.

Please keep in mind that the court can "impute" income- if they feel that a party is voluntarily un/underemployed - so depending on the ages of the children and the circumstances of the case, the court may choose to impute income if the parent refuses to obtain employment after a reasonable time.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.


Related Family Law Questions