Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Potential child support and alimony payments
, i live

Customer Question
potential child support and alimony...
potential child support and alimony payments
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i live in NYC and make approx 105,000 a year (Gross). I have two kids and my wife stays at home and has no income. I wonder what my estimated child support and alimony monthly payments would be after divorce.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
1/27/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Thank you for your patience; child support is based on statutory guidelines based on income; for those figures, an approxiation would be approximately $2,000 per month.

More information on guidelines here:

https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/dcse/child_support_standards.html

As for spousal support, there is no set formula; rather the court will consider many factors.

For spousal support, the rule of thumb for temporary support is 30% of the income.

Please keep in mind that the court can "impute" income- if they feel that a party is voluntarily un/underemployed - so depending on the ages of the children and the circumstances of the case, the court may choose to impute income if the parent refuses to obtain employment after a reasonable time.

--------------------------------------
Here is a link to locate an attorney:
http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.

THANK YOU!

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer