Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Does a spouse commenting adultery affect child custody or…

Customer Question
does a spouse commenting adultery...
does a spouse commenting adultery affect child custody or moral state of health
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/27/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. What State is this in?

LOUISIANA

Thank you. There are numerous factors which the Judge will look at, when deciding this. Custody is determined according to what the judge considers to be in the child’s best interest. The judge shall consider all relevant factors, including but not limited to the:

• Love, affection, and other emotional ties between each parent and the child.
  • Ability of each parent to support the emotional, educational and material (such as food, clothing, medical care, etc.) needs of the child.
  • Length of time the child has lived in a stable environment, and the desirability of staying within that environment.
  • Stability of the existing or proposed custodial home(s).
  • Moral fitness of each parent and how it affects the child’s well-being.
  • Mental and physical health of each parent.
  • Home, school, and community history of the child.
  • Reasonable preference of the child (if the court thinks the child is old enough to give a preference).
  • Willingness of each parent to encourage a close and continuing relationship between the child and the other parent.
  • Distance between the homes of the parents.
  • Previous role and responsibility of each parent regarding caring for and raising the child.

If the parents agree who is to have custody, the court will award custody according to their agreement unless it is not in the child’s best interest. If the parents do not agree or if their agreement is not in the child’s best interest, the court shall award custody to the parents jointly unless there is strong evidence that custody to only one parent is better for the child.

If it is proven that joint custody or sole custody to either parent would result in substantial harm to the child, the court will give custody to another person who is able to provide a stable living environment.

As such, you could address the actions of the spouse and bring this to light but there are the other factors which the Judge will also consider.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!