Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My grand-daughter turned 14 in Dec. 2015. She has been

Customer Question
My grand-daughter turned 14 in...
My grand-daughter turned 14 in Dec. 2015. She has been wanting to live with her Dad for the last 2 years. She has been hospitalized and has tried to kill her self on two different occasions, and just ran away from home because her mom emotionally abuses her. My son has always been there for his kids. He feels he is loosing a battle because his ex-wife is always winnings. He is afraid for his daughter, and that she just might actually kill herself. Her mother has told my son to came and get her because she just can deal and handle her anymore. How can he get his daughter out of this situation. She is so happy when she is with her dad.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/27/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 1 year ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your granddaughter's situation. Can you please tell me:

1) What state does she live in?

2) What state(s) do the mother and father live in?

3) If there are custody orders in place, what state are they from?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to all three questions. They all live in IL. They have joint custody. Mother has residential custody..

Thank you.

Well if the mother allows it and won't fight it, the father should have an easy time. All he would have to do is to come and pick up the child. Then to ensure that the custody orders reflect the situation, he would file for a modification of the existing custody order in Court. The mother would sign off on it, and the Judge would as well if both parents agree. See HERE.

If the mother changes her mind, he would have to fight for custody, and show to the court that this is "in the child's best interest," and then it would be up to the Judge to decide based on the parenting ability of both parents and what has happened to the child, as well as her own preference.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Ely, Counselor at Law