Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I hyphenated my last name with my 2 marriages because of my…

Customer Question
I hyphenated my last name...
I hyphenated my last name with my 2 marriages because of my children. My last husband passed away 15 years ago and I've sinced remarried my first husband the father of my children. I would like to drop the second name ... My children are grown therefore I know longer need to keep both names. Is there a simple process that is not costly and how to go about it? Thx
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/27/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

So all your ID is in the current name?

What state are you in? You will need to do a Name Change via the courts and then send that Order to all your creditors and also notify SS and have your ID changed.

I'm in California

Ok. Thank you.

HERE IS a CA court website for the forms and the instructions on how to proceed with the Name Change via the Courts.

Once you review it if you have other questions, please let me know. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating.