Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

After a job change support can u go back on past earnings to…

Customer Question
after a job change for...
after a job change for child support can u go back on past earnings to get except payment from spouse
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/27/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am unclear what you are asking? Does someone owe back support? Can you explain a bit more briefly please?

no back support mom has changed job to take lesser pay to get more child support so can I go back to past potential earnings to establish child support payment and how many years if so

I understand.

In these situations, the court will look at the parent's "Earning ability" One parent cannot self impoverish or take a lower pay in an effort to avoid their share of support to a child.

So In your case, the court should go back 3 to 5 years and then calculate her earning potential based on her income during that time.

You can provide her education, skills, work experience and her earnings for 3 to 5 years prior for the court, yes.