How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10224
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in NJ. I'am having an affair and wish to leave my

Customer Question

I live in NJ. I'am having an affair and wish to leave my wife. Have no childeren, ansd wife makes the same amount of cash as me. What do I need to do to be prepared? and what are the first several steps I need to take?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your patience.

(I apologize - I had to edit; for some reason my posts came through in the wrong order)

If a party is claiming fault (adultery) the party claiming that must prove the adultery.

To obtain a no fault divorce (most common)

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask and I will get do my best-- If I have fully answered your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you.

  • You or your spouse must have lived in New Jersey for 12 consecutive months before the filing of the divorce complaint.

  • You and your spouse must have experienced irreconcilable differences for six months.

  • The irreconcilable differences make it appear that the marriage should be dissolved.

  • There is no reasonable prospect of reconciliation.

  • Here is the law re: equitable division of property- basically the fair division of property (fair does not necessarily mean equal):

    This will walk one through the steps- the first step being filing a complaint and serving the other party:

    Link to forms:

    Generally the courts will not award alimony if both parties have the same income.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

The posts are still going through in an odd order.

Please let me know if the above makes sense.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.