Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My daughter had a mental breakdown from spouse abuse, he

Customer Question

My daughter had a mental breakdown from spouse abuse, he physically and mentally abused her, she started using drugs, then she realized she needed help, they have 3 kids
together and she has a older child from previous marriage. She asked her husbands 2 aunts
If they would care for kids, while she did get the help she needed. One of them asked her to write a statement so if they needed medical attention. She moved back in with her grandmother to get her life together (which was a different county, from which they lived)
Now we have been fighting custody in court for 3 years now, can't get a fair hearing because of the close community, we have had 2 different lawyers. Can you give us a solution, we can't even get custody of the older child that didn't belong to her husband?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is the reason the court is refusing to allow you or the mother to regain custody of the child?
You said you have had 2 attorneys, what happened with them and why couldn't they get custody back? The court has to have given reasons for its decision and if they did, then did you file an appeal to the court of appeals?
Please understand because there are no magic bullets in the legal system, when someone comes here saying they had 2 different attorneys and still cannot regain custody or visitation, there is much more to the story and quite possibly there may be no legal solution that has not already been tried.