How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2174
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****. My ex-girlfriend, who currently has

Customer Question

Hi Debra. My name is ***** *****. My ex-girlfriend, who currently has custody of my two year old son has moved to live with her boyfriend and is planning to get married. She up and left my son and her other child without notice while they were living at her mother's house out of state. I am trying to figure out my legal options, as I'm still paying child support through the state.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I live in Georgia. We had arranged visitation amongst ourselves and I was seeing him regularly. Then she moved to North Carolina, taking her then boyfriend with her, to live with her mother and took my son and her other child with her. Then she became involved with an abusive man and moved the children with her. Child services then became involved and she isn't allowed to leave her mother's home with them. Then she became involved with a man who lives here in Georgia and moved back without regard for her children. I have been paying child support through the state and am current on all my payments. She relinquished the child support card to her mother and her mother believes she isn't coming back to be with them. I'm financially stable, own my home, have enough space ( four bedroom house), drug-free, and am currently raising a newborn baby with the help of my current girlfriend.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Family Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this. You would file motion for change of status and modification of child support in the court where you have the current child support order. You would ask the court for custody and to stop child support.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The child support order is through the Department of Children and Family Services. Would I need to go through them, or through my local court?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

You can go through them who would file these motions in court on your behalf.