How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Louisiana and have not lived with my wife years.

Customer Question

I live in Louisiana and have not lived with my wife for 9 years. She has mental disabilities and her two sisters placed her in a nursing home 2 years ago and I have just found out about it. They have never let me see or talk to her in all these years I agreed to pay 200 per every two weeks and I talked them down to 150 every two weeks for the last 6 months I also have continued to pay for her medical insurance all these years. I want a divorce I have a mental disability also but am able to maintain a job. Please advise me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Harold,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you have lived separate and apart from your wife for more than 180 days, then under Louisiana law, legally you may file for divorce against her in the court where you live.

And unless there is a court order in place requiring that you send money to her sisters, then you may stop paying that money immediately. The nursing home bills are almost certainly being paid by Medicaid and it is quite possible that the sisters are just pocketing the money, unless they are giving the cash to your wife. But either way, unless the court orders you to pay money to your wife, you are not obligated to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,