Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Louisiana and have not lived with my wife years.

Customer Question
I live in Louisiana and...
I live in Louisiana and have not lived with my wife for 9 years. She has mental disabilities and her two sisters placed her in a nursing home 2 years ago and I have just found out about it. They have never let me see or talk to her in all these years I agreed to pay 200 per every two weeks and I talked them down to 150 every two weeks for the last 6 months I also have continued to pay for her medical insurance all these years. I want a divorce I have a mental disability also but am able to maintain a job. Please advise me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/26/2016
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon Harold,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you have lived separate and apart from your wife for more than 180 days, then under Louisiana law, legally you may file for divorce against her in the court where you live.

And unless there is a court order in place requiring that you send money to her sisters, then you may stop paying that money immediately. The nursing home bills are almost certainly being paid by Medicaid and it is quite possible that the sisters are just pocketing the money, unless they are giving the cash to your wife. But either way, unless the court orders you to pay money to your wife, you are not obligated to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug