How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went to a Lawyer to ask m to do two warranty deeds he

Customer Question

I went to a Lawyer to ask him to do two warranty deeds he wanted $200.00
that was fine,The next morning I had 3 more for him,He wanted $800.00
So that next morning I went to his office,I ask his secretary if he done anything
she said no,the papers were still on her desk,I ask her if I can take them back
and do them myself she said fine.I have them done and recorded,I am getting a $800.00 bill from this Lawyer. I don't know what service he charging me it does not say on the invoice ,Can he send this to collection my score is
800 and what can I do to stop him,He did no paper work I did it.
and also I have a warranty deed signed by my mother to me I had it recorded
six months ago,can my brother fight me on this property My father died years ago,It was in my mothers name,My brother wanted it,No love lost between us,He wants it all.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 1 year ago.


I can answer your first question quite easily. If the attorney did not do any work, he cannot collect his fee. Your best option would be to write him a letter and send it certified mail, explaining that you will not be paying his fee because he didn't do any work. If he presses the issue, you can open up a dispute with the Idaho state bar, or file a grievance against him. They can help you navigate this dispute with him. He could in theory send your bill to collections, but in general, given the high cost of doing so, for $800 I don't think it's likely.

In order to answer your other question, I'll need you to start a new question, as Just Answer's policy is one question per open question.