How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is in a custody battle in state. He smokes marijuana

Customer Question

My son is in a custody battle in Washington state. He smokes marijuana which is legal and it looks like they are going to hold it against him. The mother is a long term drug abuser. what steps would he need to take?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If both parents are taking drugs and this is a factor for the court and the other parent is making it an issue, he could ask the court for both parties to submit to a drug test and that might make it an even playing field. If he doesn't have an attorney, he should retain a good family law attorney. If they can't agree to a parenting plan then this attorney will be worth his/her weight in gold.

Under Washington State child custody laws, judges who sign off on a couple’s divorce must consider the best interests of the child as the guiding principle in deciding custody issues. Even if both parents agree to a custody arrangement, the judge will review it and make sure it is in the children’s best interests.

In determining what is in the best interests of the children, the judge will look at each parent’s ability to:

(1) maintain a loving, stable relationship with the children

(2) Provide for the children’s basic needs, such as feeding, clothing, physical health, grooming, health care, day care, etc.

(3) Be involved with the educational needs of the children

(4) Exercise sound judgment

(5) Financially support the children

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.