Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I want to speak to my ex that I put a final restraining

Customer Question
order against . I live...
I want to speak to my ex that I put a final restraining order against . I live in new jersey . Can I get in trouble for doing so if I am the plaintiff ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/26/2016
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

No, you can not get in trouble or violate the order, unless there is something to the contrary in the language of the order. The only who can violate the order is the person it is directed against.

Are you online with me?

I am .

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

I am nervous he will call the police for me contacting him

You can not get into trouble for violating an order not directed against you.

You would not be violating any laws.

I've read online and heard he can file to get one put against me if I contact him

He would have to have a reason. If you are harassing him then he can, but merely making one or two no threatening phone calls is not harassment nor anything you should worry about.

What about if i was to text him ?

So long as you are not threatening or harassing him you may use any medium.

Are you still online with me?