Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am getting a monthly pension annuity since year 2000. In

Customer Question
I am getting a monthly...
I am getting a monthly pension annuity since year 2000. In 2009 I got divorced and a judge attached my pension for alimony in the am,t of $1500.00. This is through a QUADRO. Should I not get a 1099 showing my full am,t of the annuity I receive and the portion taken out for the alimony?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
1/26/2016
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

What you are describing is NOT alimony.

A division of a pension, via QDRO is considered a division of marital property. So the payment to your spouse (from the company paying the money) is not considered alimony.

The way this works is BOTH parties get a 1099 for their share.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, I guess you would have to see theway this iswritten in the court papers to give a just response to why I am aking this question.

Yes...you need to see if the order is "property" or "support"

I would bet it is property...but check to verify

P. Simmons, Lawyer