How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102350
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get the legal documents terminating my parents

Customer Question

How can I get the legal documents terminating my parents rights in 1952-53 from the Cass county probate court in Cassopolis,Michigan and also the neglect file against my parents.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

For Court records, you can call (###) ###-####and ask for the record department. These documents should be open records, since they are court records (part of a child's names may be redacted or written as initials). This may be received for a nominal fee.

For neglect files, one would have to do an OPEN RECORDS request to MDHHS. Please read about this HERE. Because it has been a while, the records were likely sent to storage, so the request should be sent to the main address:


Capitol View Building*****br />Lansing, Michigan 48913

You can do the same thing for any police records - see HERE.

Note that due to the age of the case, some records may already have been destroyed. Also given the nature of the case, some records may be redacted/unavailable.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The court said my file was surpressed and these are not public records and that it was against the law and that I could not have them. I got most of my records from the Central Adoption Registry even the county agent reports. I got the legal document making me a ward of the court .
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

If the court records were sealed, then someone in your situation would have to file a motion asking the Court to UNSEAL them. This is up to the Court to decide.

However, the original answer as to how to file for an open records request with MDHHS and the police stands. They then have to provide any records they have, but may withhold records that fall under the exceptions listed HERE.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Related Family Law Questions