Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Why would you file instead of divorce?

Customer Question
Why would you file for...
Why would you file for separation instead of divorce?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/25/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

One of the main reasons that someone would file for legal separation (called an Action for Separate Maintenance in Michigan) instead of divorce is that they do not believe in divorce for religious reasons, or if they want to be able to continue receiving health benefits on a spouse's plan (but many employers allow for a divorce spouse to stay on health insurance, so that might be worth exploring further). A decree of separate maintenance is fundamentally the same to a divorce in virtually all ways, except you cannot remarry (and must get a divorce if one of the spouses wants to do that). If you're not particularly religious, have access to health care, and think you may want to remarry some day, a divorce may be preferable.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.