How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9905
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife abanded home and has been gone years ,extramarital

Customer Question

my wife abanded home and has been gone for seven years ,extramarital affair failed now that kid is grown and moving on she thinks she can just move back into the home and disrupt my life we don,t get along and are still legally married and her name is ***** ***** mortgage don,t know if i have any choice in the matter?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

What state is this in regards to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i live in mi. she resides in ohio
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information.

So in order for a state to have jurisdiction over the marriage, all that is required is that the petitioner (the party filing for divorce) must be a resident for 6 months. When there are 2 possible states with jurisdiction, the party that files first will have their court be granted jurisdiction.

In Ohio, it is an equitable division state, so that if a party divorces, the court will fairly divide property acquired during the marriage, but prior to the date of separation (excluding gifts/inheritance).

Parties remain legally married until a decree of dissolution is entered. That requires filing a petition for divorce, to start the process.

In the meantime, the court can make temporary orders, such as giving one spouse exclusive use of the residence. In doing so, they will generally preserve the status quo-i.e. allow the spouse living in the residence to remain in the residence, exclusively, until there is a court ordered property division or agreement as to property division.

Some more information is located here, explaining the process:

and relevant statutes here:

Here is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.