How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal in the state of Florida sixteen yr old boy to

Customer Question

Is it legal in the state of Florida for a sixteen yr old boy to have conscentual sex (fornication) with my fifteen yr old daughter?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

According to FL statute 800.04, having intercourse with a person under the age of 16, is a crime for anyone age 16 and older.

That statute is located here:

However, under FL statute 943.04354, the person convicted of the crime can petition the court so that they need not register as a sex offender. This is recent legislation (2007);

It is possible to get a restraining order as a 15 year old is not of legal age to give consent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if she recently turned sixteen, does that mske it consensual and legal also can I still get a restraining order on the boy?
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Once the child turns 16, then they are able to give consent provided the other person is less than 18.

Similarly, once the child turns 16 it is more difficult to get a restraining order because there is not illegal activity.

Sometimes family mediation (similar to counseling, but focusing on one specific topic) is a more successful avenue in matters such as these.

Information about mediation (alternative dispute resolution) here:

I hope this information is helpful. If so kindly rate positive so that my customer scores remain outstanding. Thank you and take care.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.