Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been living with my boyfriend. i was renting my own

Customer Question
i have been living with...
i have been living with my boyfriend for 12yrs. i was renting my own place. he gave me an engagement ring and he bought a house and asked me to move in. he never mentioned the marriage he doesnt want to have to share his retirement or pay alimony he told someone. can i sue for palimony if he had told me in our relationship o could have found someone else and built my life with.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
1/25/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I'm very sorry, but no. As I explained a few days ago, California law ONLY allows palimony suits when one partner agrees that they will continue to support the other even if the relationship does not work out. What you're talking about is a suit for breach of the promise to marry, which was abolished in California many, many years ago. The law has decided not to police hearts. They cannot punish someone because a relationship did not work out. If you wanted to be able to claim palimony in the event of a break-up, you needed to get your ex to agree to it WHILE you were together.

Legally, you're not even entitled to keep the engagement ring if he asks for it back.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer