Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Is a petition order valid if it isn't signed by the

Customer Question
is a petition for an...
is a petition for an order for protection valid if it isn't signed by the petitioner, but the temporary order for protection is signed by a judge but not the petitioner either?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/25/2016
Family Lawyer: Chris T., JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

To answer your question directly, yes, it is valid since it is signed by the judge. That said, it could be invalidated based on procedural grounds that the original petition was unsigned, but I'm not sure how much that actually helps. All that would do is force the petitioner to start again as square one, but it is very likely that the judge would make the same ruling again. In short, there is a technical argument that the order should be reversed, but from a practical perspective, it accomplishes very little.