Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in nj and am in the process of separating from my…

Customer Question
I live in nj and...
I live in nj and am in the process of separating from my husband (not legally yet). He currently pays the mortgage ($3310 a month) and all home bills, my cell phone bill, and car insurance, and for our nanny to watch our two children while I work. I pay for our healthcare, my daughters preschool and groceries. During the course of our marriage I have accrued credit debt but 98% of what's on it is stuff for our children, vet bills for our dogs, groceries when I had no cash left, stuff for house. I also have a lot of student loan debt. He is trying to offer me 1500 a month which I would not be able to survive on with my two children. I am trying to do this as amicably for our children and keep the costs of lawyers down so it keeps more in our pockets in the long run but I absolutely could not even come close to accepting that. He owns two small businesses and makes way more than he shows on paper. However, it will be easy to prove what I have and have not been paying/contributing towards. Any advice would be appreciated!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/24/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Here is a child support calculator so you can get an estimation of what the court is likely to order:

http://www.njchildsupport.org/resources-forms/other-resources/guidelines-calculator/guidelines-calculator.aspx

Spousal support varies tremendously as the judge is given great discretion. The idea is to allow the supported spouse to live at a standard of living similar to that achieved during marriage, realizing that 2 homes are more expensive to maintain than 1.

Since child support and alimony is a large part of the divorce equation, I would urge you to hire an attorney familiar with the local judges in your area, so s/he can give an estimation based on the prior rulings of those specific judges.

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask and I will get do my best-- If I have fully answered your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you.

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer