Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What is a reassignment? im pregnant due anytime. im still…

Customer Question
what is a reassignment? im...
what is a reassignment? im pregnant due anytime. im still married but im having a baby from my boyfriend. i filed for expedited uncontested divorce about a month ago. my lawyer is trying to find out whats the status. on his last emailed he mentioned this :
I contacted the Matrimonial Clerk and was advised that the file was transferred today. It is a reassignment. On Monday I will be able to contact the Matrimonial referee assigned to the case.
I want to know what this means. Also, in case my divorce doesn't finalize can i put my boyfriend as the father of my baby in the birth certificate?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/24/2016
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Reassignment simply means that the case may have been transferred to another Court. This happens often - a Judge retires, goes on sick leave, the docket is too heavy, etc.

This does not impact the case in any way aside from it being in another Court.

As for being pregnant with the child - the Court is unlikely to finalize a divorce until/unless the unborn child's father is recognized. This may be via putting your boyfriend's name on the birth certificate, but also the Court may want this fact mentioned in the divorce decree as well.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!