Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I'm being harassed by a person who claims to be my daughter

Customer Question

I'm being harassed by a person who claims to be my daughter for the lat month and a half she is currently 21 and was adopted at a young age. She believes me to be her biological father. I've asked repeatedly for her to stop contacting me, and my family members. 1st question Could i obtain a no contact order if so at the hearing could she have judge order a DNA test? 2nd If by chance it comes out positive could I be held for any type of support being that she was adopted by another? 3rd will I still be able to get a no contact order if I do not wish to engage in any type of relationship. The other problem is lack of info to get her served seeing all i have at the moment is a phone contact. This is in the state of Ill cook county
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

1st question Could i obtain a no contact order if so at the hearing could she have judge order a DNA test?

.

Yes, if she is continuing to contact you despite being told not to, you can get a harassment and stalking restraining order (RO).

.

And no, since she is an adult, the time for any forced DNA test has passed. It would have to have been pursued by the mother while she was still a minor.

.

Further, if she was adopted, that would have cut off any potential legal connection with you even if you were her biological parent.

.

2nd If by chance it comes out positive could I be held for any type of support being that she was adopted by another?

.

It isn't possible as stated above and no, an adoption cuts off any parental rights as well as obligations.

.

3rd will I still be able to get a no contact order if I do not wish to engage in any type of relationship.

.

Yes, if she continues to attempt to contact you despite you clearly communicating that you want nothing to do with her. But you would have to locate her address or where she works (Facebook is a great resource) so you could have her served with the RO there.

.

.

thanks

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You asked about serving her through Facebook...No, that won't work because the person has to be physically handed the RO. I mentioned Facebook because people often post information about where they live, where they work, where they hang out, etc. that might be useful in getting her served with the RO.

.

.

thanks