How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3920
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My granddaughter was taken from her mother and placed in

Customer Question

My granddaughter was taken from her mother and placed in foster care by Department of Children and Families (DCF). Her father, my son who is currently in prison provided me with a Power of Attorney for Parental and Custodial Rights and asked the judge to place her in my care. The judge said she could live with me as soon as DCF approved the house with a "home visit". I have been approved for a low income single family home for the two of us. All I need is her social security card. Social Security will only give a replacement card to the birth mother or birth father. No one knows where her mother is. I was told I need a "closing order". What is that?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This is an Order from the Court making a final determination that the child is dependnet upon you and that you are approved for the supervision of the child.

The Order is issued under Section 39.507 of the Florida Statutes which you can find here:

File a Motion before the same judge asking that he issue a final Order granting you legal custody of the child. With that Order you can obtain the Social Security Card.

You can use this Petition as a guide, but you will have to edit it to fit your situation:

Or see if legal services can assist you in putting the request together. You can reach them here:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Related Family Law Questions