How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27634
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to apply marriage license in Nassau County, NY. i was

Customer Question

i want to apply for a marriage license in Nassau County, NY. i was married twice before and divorced. i have the judgement of divorce from my last marriage. i do not have the judgement paperwork for 1st divorce. will paperwork from the 2nd divorce suffice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Information regarding previous marriages must be furnished in the application for a marriage license. This includes whether the former spouse or spouses are living, and whether the applicants are divorced and, if so, when, where and against whom the divorce or divorces were granted. A certified copy of the Decree of Divorce or a Certificate of Dissolution of Marriage MAY be required by the clerk issuing the marriage license. As such, on Monday, you would need to speak with the clerk and ask them. If they do require both, then you would need to order a copy, I am sorry to say.

For copies of marriage licenses issued anywhere in New York State except the five (5) boroughs of New York City, a certified copy of the marriage record may be obtained from the office of the town or city clerk who issued the license, or from the New York State Department of Health. The fee is $10 if you obtain a certified copy from the town or city clerk who issued the license. If applying to the New York State Department of Health, the fee is $30. For a certified copy, write to:

  • Certification Unit
    Vital Records Section
    New York State Department of Health
    P.O. Box 2602
    Albany, New York###-##-####/li>

For marriage licenses issued in New York City, do not apply to the New York State Department of Health. For an application, current fees and ordering information contact the City Clerk of New York at (212) NEW-YORK or visit their web site at New York City Marriage Bureau. You can also write them at:

  • New York City marriage records from 1930 to 1995 can be obtained solely from the Manhattan Office.


    Office of the City Clerk*****br />New York, New York 10013

  • BRONX:

    Supreme Court Building
    851 Grand Concourse, Room B131
    New York, New York 10451


    Municipal Building***** 2nd Floor, Room 205
    Brooklyn, New York 11201


    Borough Hall Building
    120-55 Queens Boulevard, Room X001
    Kew Gardens, New York 11424


    Borough Hall Building
    10 Richmond Terrace, 3rd Floor, Room 311
    Staten Island, New York 10301

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions