Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My son is getting married. He and s fiancé planned to…

Customer Question
My son is getting married...
My son is getting married. He and his fiancé planned to get married in Antarctica in a few weeks. However, they found out they have no government and the ships captain won't marry them. Their plans are set. So, they have turned to their local pastor to marry them before. But, I suggested that, if they really want to be married in Antarctica, which they do, that they sign their marriage license ahead of time and have their pastor Skype in or phone in on the ship and marry them while they are in Antarctica. If that isn't legal, then I suggested that they have the pastor marry them, but wait to date the marriage license until the day they are in Antarctica so they will be legally wed in Antarctica. They would prefer the first option. Can a pastor marry in the US marry legally marry them over the phone? If not, can they post date their license?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/23/2016
Family Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney replied 2 years ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What makes the marriage legally enforceable/binding is the execution of the marriage license in front of a notary. The pastor would be conducting a symbolic ceremony, but the pastor declaring them husband and wife is not what makes the marriage legally binding.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

They should see if there is a notary on the ship that would be able to notarized the document for them and have the pastor conduct the ceremony over Skype.

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I called Customer Service at Just Answer and requested a refund because I never received an email that I had an answer, like I always do. So, I thought my questions was too complicated and I went to my personal attorney the following Monday. That is why I never accepted your answer. Next time though. Thanks.