Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

A a women who i that was my girlfriend is in jail. i found…

Customer Question
a a women who i...
a a women who i that was my girlfriend is in jail for drugs. i found out she has been lieingabout thing. her mother and i talked and was wondering if there is a way to make it where she can be court order to have no contact with this other guy that she was living with when she was arrested. the guy has moved out of state and she plans to move with him. part of the train she is in jail now is that he had warrants outfor his arrest and when they got him she had got stuff on her so they took her too and he currantly has two more warrants out for him. What can get mother and i do to make sure she stops taking to him and not move to texas and just focus on her treatment to get better.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2016
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Are you asking if you can petition for an order of protection on behalf of your girlfriend?

we want to make it so she can't have contect with the guy in Texas and now alsobher ex bf here in Tampa for they both will make it easy to go back to her old ways of doing drugs. both the guy in Texas and the ex bf do drugs and well let her so then and the ex does the exact samebdrugs as her and has the contacts with the dealers

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Under most circumstances, a court will not entertain a third party's request for a no contact order for someone else. It would have to be an order directed from the court to either your GF of the guy in Texas. That could happen after a criminal conviction and a no contact order could be imposed as part of the condition of probation.

The other problem is that a Florida court does not even have jurisdiction over a Texas resident. So, that is another hurdle.

In the meantime, I am sorry to tell you, there is not really any way to legally prohibit two adults from associating if they want.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.