Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am filing a divorce in Colorado and wondering if I can…

Customer Question
I am filing a divorce...
I am filing a divorce in Colorado and wondering if I can change my last name to any last name I want or does it have to be restored to my maiden name?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/22/2016
Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When you get divorced, the family court judge can only restore a prior name that you had as part of the proceeding. The form only has a box for taking back a name you used to have, not for taking an entirely new name. However, you can file a Petition for Change of Name after your divorce is finalized and change your name to anything you like. It's more time consuming, and it costs more than taking your maiden name back, but it is something you're allowed to do.

If you're interested in doing that, the courts have more information available online, along with forms.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=25

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.