How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am filing a divorce in Colorado and wondering if I can

Customer Question

I am filing a divorce in Colorado and wondering if I can change my last name to any last name I want or does it have to be restored to my maiden name?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When you get divorced, the family court judge can only restore a prior name that you had as part of the proceeding. The form only has a box for taking back a name you used to have, not for taking an entirely new name. However, you can file a Petition for Change of Name after your divorce is finalized and change your name to anything you like. It's more time consuming, and it costs more than taking your maiden name back, but it is something you're allowed to do.

If you're interested in doing that, the courts have more information available online, along with forms.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions