Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am not sure which category this belongs to, so unless you…

Customer Question
I am not sure which...
I am not sure which category this belongs to, so unless you are 100% sure of your response, please let others have a chance to answer my question.I am trying to help a friend in need. While she was pregnant, she applied for Medi-CAL and until she got approved she had BlueShield of CA. Now her Medi-CAL got approved and also she got approved for her medical bills up to 3 months prior to her approval, which covers the time of her delivery and pretty much the majority of her pregnancy related costs.What steps she need to take to retroactively cancel her health insurance from 3-4 months back, so Medi-CAL can pay for her pregnancy related medical bills (the doctors and the hospital she went through take Medical)? This way she can get her monthly payments, deductibles, and copayments back for those 3-4 months.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/21/2016
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I am sure of the answer, but you may not like the answer, I'm afraid. However, I am not going to lie to you either. You asked the question and you deserve an honest answer---based on the law in CA.

It is not possible to retroactively cancel a health care policy that has been in force for 3-4 months. She contracted for an insurance policy paid the premiums and received a policy that was valid. It is not possible for her to go back now, cancel the policy and collect back premiums that were paid.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Under what circumstances it would have been possible to retroactively cancel a health care policy 3-4 months back (not the whole term the person had the health insurance in this case).

You asked: Under what circumstances it would have been possible to retroactively cancel a health care policy 3-4 months back (not the whole term the person had the health insurance in this case). Under one circumstance, and one alone.

1. If the insurance company were willing to allow the retroactive cancellation. And that is not going to happen. Sorry.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law