How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37846
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is estranged and how do I go about checking all of my

Customer Question

what is estranged and how do I go about checking all of my financial information as well our children's financial information? for think that my ex-husband has used my information on an online loan company and now that are calling me(loan company). but when to try to contact my husband about this he doesn't tell me if didn't or did take out a loan from this company. he says a scam, the company looking for information. from a public information listing. I'm not to sure that the company is a scam?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Tosha,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The word estranged means there is a situation where the person you are married to and you are living apart, and are not actively participating in your marriage.

You will want to pull your credit reports from the top 3 credit reporting agencies and look to see whether a loan was taken out using your name and social security number. If there is no record of such a loan then it is pretty unlikely that there was a loan taken or that the calls from this loan company are anything other than a scam.

If you children are minors, they would probably not have any financial information about them anywhere, though again, if they are still minors, you could ask the credit reporting companies to check to see if your children's names and social security numbers show any credit activity and determine whether they have been the victims of identity theft. If you find any evidence of fraud or identity theft, then you would want to immediately report the crimes to the local police.

Here's how to contact the three major credit bureaus to ask about or obtain your credit report or credit score, alert creditors to a possible fraud using your name, or for any other reason:

Equifax:(###) ###-####(general) or***-***-**** (fraud); P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374;

Experian:(###) ###-####(general and fraud); PO Box 2002, Allen, TX 75013,

TransUnion:(###) ###-####(general) or***-***-**** (fraud); P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19022;

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Related Family Law Questions