Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Family law my wife and I live in south Dakota we would like

Customer Question
Family law...
Family law my wife and I live in south Dakota we would like to adopt a 23 year old young lady in uganda. I met her while in uganda three years ago on a church mission .I have kept in touch with her for the past three years. Her parents have been dicessed for many years. I returned to uganda the first of the year to see her as well as work on a water project. While ther, I asked her if she would consider us adopting her if possible . My wife has agreed . Also, she said she would like very much for us to be her papa and madam. Is it possible to adopt her as we live in south dakota. Also someone to help us thank you***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
1/21/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

South Dakota has stricter laws on adult adoption than most states, specifically requiring that for adult adoption, the adoptee must have resided, as a minor, for 6 months in the petitioning parties' residence:

25-6-18. Petition for adoption of adult--Consent--Residence with adoptive parent during minority. An adult may adopt another adult by filing a petition requesting the adoption with the judge of the circuit court, together with an agreement in writing that the person being adopted shall be treated in all respects as a natural child of the petitioner. Written consent of the adopted person shall also be required. It shall be a further prerequisite that the person being adopted shall have lived in the home of the adoptive parent during the person's minority for a period of at least six months, and this fact shall appear in the petition. If the person being adopted is the biological child of the adoptive parent, the prerequisite of living in the home of the adoptive parent during the person's minority is waived.

Also there are immigration approvals that are required, and those would need to be addressed by an immigration attorney; but generally for a potential adoptive US parent to petition for an adopted foreign child the adoption must be completed before the child reaches age 16, and then the child must reside with the adoptive parent for two years following the adoption.

So while other states have no restrictions or less restrictions on age (ie whethre the adoptee is an adult/child), SD does, unfortunately.

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask and I will get do my best-- If I have fully answered your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you.

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer