Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In NY state child support, mother moved to ct., children…

Customer Question
In NY state child support...
In NY state child support, mother moved to ct., children were on husky, Father has now
found a job that offers him medical insurance, does his child support now have to include
additional medical insurance for the children, Mother is on disability SSI and in adition receives monthly checks for the children and his child support of $240. a week for 2 sons.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/20/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. Can you please just clarify the situation. Are you saying that the child support currently taking into account and factors in the cost for health insurance and he can not add the kids to his insurance through work, which would be more affordable?

He can add the children, but the additional cost is not affordable, can that cost be deducted from the child support?
He can add the children to his medical, but the cost is not affordable, can that cost be deducted from the current child support

Thank you for the reply. If the cost is not affordable, then why would he want to add them and have to pay more now, then is required>?

His x wife told him it is the law that they be taken off Husky and added to his medical plan, is this correct?

Thank you for the additional information. I did not know that is what you were originally asking, so I am going to opt out and allow another professional to answer. Allow them some time to respond. Thank you for understanding.

Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

It actually depends on what the court order states.

A medical support order is a court order for either parent or both parents to provide health care coverage (1) through their employer, (2) through the state benefit plan under HUSKY Plan, Part B, (3) by an order for cash medical support, or (4) by an order for medical and dental expenses not covered by insurance or reimbursed in any other manner pursuant to the Connecticut child support guidelines. Medical support also includes an order to repay a percentage of any un-reimbursed health care costs.

If there is no medical support order requiring the father to provide health insurance, then this need not be done until a court order is modified to order this. If an order is entered to that effect, child support services will mail the employer directly a National Medical Support Notice so that the children may be included on the plan.

More information is here, specifically page 2:

https://www.jud.ct.gov/Publications/fm197.pdf

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask and I will get do my best-- If I have fully answered your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you.