How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9907
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has 2 children but the father has custody of 1

Customer Question

My daughter has 2 children but the father has custody of 1 of the children and they had split up and he got a exparte order against my Daughter since then they have gotten back together but that order is still in effect My concerned questions would be
1: Would that Order be null and void now since they are back together
2: Are both parents in contempt of that order
3.Are What route needs to be taken here?
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A few minutes please as I look into this for you.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A court order is still in effect unless there is a date of termination on the face of the order, or it is later modified or terminated. For restraining orders, the proper procedure, if there is no expiration date, is to bring a request for order of termination.

The party violating the order (the restrained party) is in contempt; however, if the other party does not bring a contempt motion then generally there is no reinforcement unless there is a previously scheduled hearing to determine compliance. The standard course of action upon reconciliation however is to have the order terminated.

Information here:

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask and I will get do my best-- If I have fully answered your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Please see page 16 on the process for termination: