Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have had a consistent relatiainshinponship with my 15 year

Customer Question
old granddaughter all her life...
I have had a consistent relatiainshinponship with my 15 year old granddaughter all her life. parents are deivorsed . what are my rites to see her/
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
1/20/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

The State of Arizona has a provision which allows visitation for grandparents over a parent’s objection. In order to accomplish this; (1) the grandparent must overcome the presumption that the parent always acts “in the best interest of the child,” and (2) access to the grandparents is in the child’s best interest. This burden must be overcome by a “preponderance of the evidence” (i.e. the grandparent must show by a 51% probability that visitation is “in the child’s best interests) You also need to demonstrate one of the following applies to your situation:

A It has been at least three months since your grandchild’s parents have been divorced.

B. One of the parents has been deceased or missing for at least three months. There are two circumstances in which a parent would be considered missing – either the parent’s location is unknown or law enforcement has declared him or her missing.

C. The parents were not married when your grandchild was born.

If you do not need further assistance please accept and rate the answer.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer