How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28035
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I share joint legal custody with my sons father. s wife,

Customer Question

My name is***** share joint legal custody with my sons father. His wife, however, is interfering in my ability to parent my child. She calls all the shots and my sons father allows it to avoid conflict. I constantly ask his father to co-parent with me. Tell me about medical appointments, after school activities, summer camps, etc. He does none of this. I carry the insurance and I am never informed of any visits to any doctors. I have had to resort to calling the doctors and requesting a copy of his medical records. My name is ***** ***** any of the contact information, that is to say, if anything happens with my son, I will know nothing about it. I had to go to the school and have the contact information include me as well. I had to tell them if a field trip permission slip is signed, I need to know who signs it. I also have to agree if I feel he should attend the activity. My son does not see his parents being parents. He does not see us as a unified front actively parenting him. We never talk to him just as the three of us, as we should. I am in the process of building a case against the both of them alleging tortious interference of parental rights by parental and third party interference. Please excuse my spelling. I am going to ask for modification of custody as well. I am building a strong case including what is in the best interest of my child. My child should not grow up thinking this is normal parenting. Essentially, co-parenting is going on with his step mother and father, and he sees me as a completely separate entity. He never sees me taking him to the doctor, rather, his step mother takes him. He sees them attending one parent conference, and myself attending another. His father and I should be attending these conferences together, right? He should not see that his step mother does not speak to his paternal grandmother or aunt. He should not know his stepmother is trying to say his mother and grandmother and aunt should have no contact. She feels it is "inappropriate". He should not see that his grandmother is not allowed over the house anymore because of all the fighting that has happened in front of him. He should be with a parent who will foster a strong family unit who all get along and love him and each other. That is what I will do. I feel all the red flags are there for future parental alienation syndrome. That's how controlling and hateful she is. What is your opinion?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Melissa, good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. What you are suggesting and what you want is ideal but does not always happen, as you are aware. As such, you do need to proceed back to court and ask the Judge to modify the agreement. You do want to show the Judge that you are not involved with important decisions involving your son and ask that it be ordered that both parents with with and advise each other, about specific, meaningful things which involve the child. You are on the right track and do want to gather evidence and specific examples to present to the court, to show what is exactly going on and what remedy you would like, to correct this. You should try and be specific with the Judge, to tell them what it is you want and why you want it and what can be done to achieve that. For example, if the father takes the child to the doctor, it needs to be required that you are listed as the emergency contact and he informs you of the basis for going. Same thing goes for school related activities and anything else which is relevant to your child's growth and should involve BOTH parents. You can also ask for a right of first refusal, whereby if he has an appointment and the father can not take him, that he first contact you and ask, before having the step-mother do it. This way, you can be more involved and up to date about what is going on.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!