Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Petitioner received a DVR while visiting in CA. holiday( San…

Customer Question
Petitioner received a DVR while...
Petitioner received a DVR while visiting in CA. for Xmas holiday( San Mateo), she lives in OR and is unprepared for hearing (not been able to find legal help)and must drive from northern OR to be present at hearing. Minor children in her care. No support funds. Hearing set for tomorrow 1-20-16 . respondent has counter filed DVR, retained counsel. Petitioner fears vulnerable "in pro per" status. It is imperative that this hearing be moved. Can the date be moved?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/19/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. She MUST try and file a motion for a continuance TODAY and ask the Judge to reset the hearing. In the body of the motion, she needs to present good cause and explain to the Judge why she can not appear tomorrow. She should also address why she waited until the day before to do this, as it can be argued that this was not timely and therefore denied. She needs to send it to the court and see if it can be filed with the clerk and go before the Judge to be ruled upon and a copy also needs to be sent to all parties. Seeing how short she is on time, she would need to do it via fax and email and see if the clerk will accept it, unless they have electronic filing in that county. If not and she does appear, she would need to ask for the continuance is person at that time and ask that the matter not be heard and reset a week or 10 days, so she can retain counsel. I know it is not ideal but I need to be upfront and honest with you, since it is last minute.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer