Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was married to another man and got pregnant. The guy I got…

Customer Question
I was married to another...
I was married to another man and got pregnant. The guy I got pregnant by didn't know about til 15 years later. While I was pregnant I dated someone else and he signed an acknowledgement of paternity at the hospital. I later divorced my husband and married the guy that signed the acknowledgement of paternity. Now the bio dad wants a blood test. Can he force me to take one?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/19/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

He could certainly seek a paternity test in court. The issue is already complicated for you in that the man you were married to is presumed the dad but then the other guy signed the AOP. This would be enough of factual issue for the biological father to ask for a paternity test.

My research shows that Arkansas has no statute of limitations to establish paternity. You would be entitled to child support if the person asking for the test proves to be the father.

Thanks for signing up for our service. If you still need assistance, I'm here to help. If not, could you kindly "accept" the answer and rate it so that I can be credited and can close it out?