How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30155
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have dual citizenship (US Canadian) I pay child support in

Customer Question

I have dual citizenship (US Canadian) I pay child support in Canada and my daughter lives there with her mom. She will be 18 this year and our contact is null.
What would be the implications for me here in the US, if I stop paying child support in Canada once my daughter is 18 without going through a court order in Canada?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

They'll only come after you in the U.S. if you owe money in Canada. If you have an order that expires when your child turns 18, then there's no reason for anyone to come after you in the United States after you stop paying, as long as there aren't past due amounts. The state of Illinois shouldn't even know that you have a Canadian child support order unless it's been registered with the court where you live (which typically would only happen if you missed payments).

The age at which child support terminates is based on where the court order was entered. You may want to verify with a Canadian attorney that your obligation to pay support DOES terminate automatically on your daughter's birthday and that you don't have to do anything to make support end, but the U.S. won't take any interest unless the custodial parent tries to collect money from you in the U.S. If you are supposed to file for termination and you don't, you could wind up having to pay more just for not following procedure, and you don't want that.