Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm 63, my first husband died, am about to get remarried. If…

Customer Question
I'm 63, my first husband...
I'm 63, my first husband died, am about to get remarried. If i hyphenate my name will I be able to keep social security, pension and mutual funds as is or do I have to get everything changed to new name? What I would like to know is do I have to go through all the paper work to get everything changed,or is it possible to leave as is.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/17/2016
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Yes, you will need to notify SSA of your name change. The following link has instructions and forms:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3749/How-do-I-change-or-correct-my-name-on-my-Social-Security-number-card

With regard to other pensions you will need to contact your plan administrator.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?