How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34464
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 63, my first husband died, am about to get remarried. If

Customer Question

I'm 63, my first husband died, am about to get remarried. If i hyphenate my name will I be able to keep social security, pension and mutual funds as is or do I have to get everything changed to new name? What I would like to know is do I have to go through all the paper work to get everything changed,or is it possible to leave as is.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Yes, you will need to notify SSA of your name change. The following link has instructions and forms:

With regard to other pensions you will need to contact your plan administrator.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?