Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a question. My husband and I recently divorced

Customer Question
Hello there, I have a...
Hello there, I have a question. My husband and I recently divorced overseas (Dominican Republic) we are dominican residents, but still hold residency in the state of Florida. We are both US citizens.We married in the state of Indiana, so what do I need to do to legalize this divorce in the state of Indiana??? I'm still young and eventually I plan on remarrying someone else. So what do I need to do, and what process do I have to follow?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/17/2016
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally you do not have to do anything in the state of Indiana or Florida. However, if you want to enforce the divorce decree in any state in the US for some reason, then you need to file it in the state of your residence, which is Florida. You would do that by filing a petition to recognize foreign judgment in the FL court and attaching an original copy of the divorce order from DR translated into English. However, this is not a legal requirement for you to do in the US for any reason other than if you need to enforce some provision of the divorce decree in the courts in the US.
As far as remarriage, all you need is the original DR divorce decree accompanied by the English translated version and when you remarry you need to just present that to the clerk when you apply for the marriage license.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer