How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117367
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. My husband and I recently divorced

Customer Question

Hello there, I have a question. My husband and I recently divorced overseas (Dominican Republic) we are dominican residents, but still hold residency in the state of Florida. We are both US citizens.We married in the state of Indiana, so what do I need to do to legalize this divorce in the state of Indiana??? I'm still young and eventually I plan on remarrying someone else. So what do I need to do, and what process do I have to follow?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally you do not have to do anything in the state of Indiana or Florida. However, if you want to enforce the divorce decree in any state in the US for some reason, then you need to file it in the state of your residence, which is Florida. You would do that by filing a petition to recognize foreign judgment in the FL court and attaching an original copy of the divorce order from DR translated into English. However, this is not a legal requirement for you to do in the US for any reason other than if you need to enforce some provision of the divorce decree in the courts in the US.
As far as remarriage, all you need is the original DR divorce decree accompanied by the English translated version and when you remarry you need to just present that to the clerk when you apply for the marriage license.

Related Family Law Questions