Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In my divorce decree I am responsible of medical and co-pays…

Customer Question
In my divorce decree...
In my divorce decree I am responsible for half of medical and co-pays but my ex sent me a bill from 40 days ago isn't there a reasonable time period she is supposed to send me the bill do I still have to pay this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

Yes, unfortunately you do. Unless the divorce decree says there is a timeline for it to be paid. She can even pay it and ask for reimbursement later on.

One thing you can do is contact the provider to see if they will agree to a lower amount. I do this frequently and they will often reduce by a certain percentage.

I'm sorry I don't have better news. One more suggestion is that if you were to seek a modification to the divorce decree, you could ask for a fixed process for when medical bills are sent to you. If you do not need further assistance, please accept and if you can rate the answer.

Thank you for signing up for our service. If you need further assistance, let us know, otherwise, please "accept" the answer. If you are inclined, a positive rating is appreciated.