Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In Tennessee, If I marry a foreign national (Russia), does…

Customer Question
In Tennessee, If I marry...
In Tennessee, If I marry a foreign national (Russia), does she have to have a social security # ***** just a birth certificate?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/16/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. She does not have to have a social security card/number, to get married. Before a marriage can occur in Tennessee, a license must be obtained from the County Clerk. The fee is $97.50. The fee is reduced to $37.50 if the couple completes a Premarital Preparation Course. There is no waiting period, the marriage license is valid for thirty (30) days from issuance, and is good for ceremonies performed anywhere in Tennessee.

• Proof of date of birth (Certified Birth Certificate or Government Issued Photo Identification)
  • Social Security Number (for individuals that have been issued one)
  • Both parties must appear together. If either party is under the age of 18, contact our office for additional requirements. Applicants under age 16 must obtain a court order from theJuvenile Court Judge. If either individual is incarcerated at the time, or has a disability which prevents the person from appearing, that person may submit a notarized statement. Click the links below to download the required forms:
    Marriage License for Incarcerated Applicant
    Marriage License for Applicants with Disability
  • The fee is $97.50. Applicants who have completed a premarital preparation course within a year prior to the date of applying for the license are exempted from paying $60.00 of this fee. Applicants must present a Certificate of Completion completed and signed by the course provider. This document must be notarized and presented to our office at the time of payment and receipt of your license.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!