How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27230
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm currently in divorce proceedings with my the

Customer Question

i'm currently in divorce proceedings with my the time we were married a large sum of money was gifted to us.both our names on the checks.she directly took possesion and deposited into a account of her own where i have no access.while we have been married i have many times been left with the possibility of becoming destitute.numerous times i have asked for help and received nothing.(once her excuse was she has no time to take care of it,she was on her way to the airport to take a luxury weekend in the carribean)she asked if we divorced if we could remain together so that i might collect social service help,and that she might retain all the funds we received on our wedding day.i'm beyond knowing where to turn.i feel threatened if i say anything.i just received divorce papers and do not feel well signing them.i am afraid if i tell her i won't until some things are resolved i will be further harassed
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You do not have to just sign the papers and anything which you do sign, you MUST read. I say this because you could be agreeing to certain things and giving up certain rights, which may negatively effect you. Now, things acquired during the course of the marriage, would be consider martial assets. You both would have a legal right and share to them. If money was gifted to you BOTH, then you BOTH would be entitled to share in that money. The fact that she took it and put it into her own account, does not mean she gets to just keep it and you can assert your right to it, as part of the divorce settlement and ask that it be shared, along with any other assets.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions