Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I'm currently in divorce proceedings with my wife.at the…

Customer Question
i'm currently in divorce proceedings...
i'm currently in divorce proceedings with my wife.at the time we were married a large sum of money was gifted to us.both our names on the checks.she directly took possesion and deposited into a account of her own where i have no access.while we have been married i have many times been left with the possibility of becoming destitute.numerous times i have asked for help and received nothing.(once her excuse was she has no time to take care of it,she was on her way to the airport to take a luxury weekend in the carribean)she asked if we divorced if we could remain together so that i might collect social service help,and that she might retain all the funds we received on our wedding day.i'm beyond knowing where to turn.i feel threatened if i say anything.i just received divorce papers and do not feel well signing them.i am afraid if i tell her i won't until some things are resolved i will be further harassed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/16/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You do not have to just sign the papers and anything which you do sign, you MUST read. I say this because you could be agreeing to certain things and giving up certain rights, which may negatively effect you. Now, things acquired during the course of the marriage, would be consider martial assets. You both would have a legal right and share to them. If money was gifted to you BOTH, then you BOTH would be entitled to share in that money. The fact that she took it and put it into her own account, does not mean she gets to just keep it and you can assert your right to it, as part of the divorce settlement and ask that it be shared, along with any other assets.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!